5 Count Indictment returned against San Antonio Smuggling Suspect

August 28 arraignment set for James Bradley in deaths of 10 Migrants

The 1999 Peterbilt 379 customized that James Bradley allegedly bought for $90,000.00 from a Wisconsin truck custom shop
This is not your normal fleet truck

James Matthew Bradley, 60, of Clearwater Florida, the man accused of transporting hundreds of undocumented immigrants in a big rig smuggling operation, which led to the deaths of 10 immigrants last month, has August 28 at 1:30pm as the date of his arraignment on the indictment handed down this week by a Federal Grand Jury in San Antonio Texas/

The five-count indictment charges Bradley with:

  • One count of conspiracy to transport and harbor undocumented aliens for financial gain resulting in death
  • One count of transportation of undocumented aliens resulting in death
  • One count of conspiracy to transport and harbor undocumented aliens for financial gain resulting in serious bodily injury and placing lives in jeopardy
  • One count of transporting undocumented aliens resulting in serious bodily injury and placing lives in jeopardy
  • One count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon

Bradley faces up to life in prison or death if convicted of the conspiracy and transportation-resulting-in-death charges. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the conspiracy and transportation-resulting-in-serious-bodily-injury charges. And upon conviction of the felon-in-possession charge, Bradley faces up to 10 years in federal prison, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

Bradley was arrested after officers said they discovered 39 undocumented immigrants July 23 in the trailer Bradley had parked at a Southwest Side Walmart in the 8500 block of Interstate 35.

Continured Below Advertisement

 


Police said they recovered a .38 caliber pistol from inside the cab of the big rig. Bradley has remained in federal custody since being arrested at the scene.

Of the 39 people found, 10 died, two are still in the hospital, 22 are in federal custody and are charged as material witnesses and five — four juveniles and one adult — have since been released from the hospital and were turned over to immigration officials, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office said the juveniles are under the supervision of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, and the released adult is undergoing administrative processing through immigration court.

This post is part of the thread: San Antonio Migrant Deaths – an ongoing story on this site. View the thread timeline for more context on this post.